University Settlement House CollectionOctober 18, 2016
Title: University Settlement House Collection
Reference Code: Mss-1483
Inclusive Dates: 1902 – 1931
Quantity: 000.4 cu. ft.
Location: GV, Sh. 022a
Abstract: The University Settlement House was part of Progressive-era reforms to address problems stemming from Milwaukee’s rapid urbanization and industrialization of the late 19th/early 20th centuries. Under the leadership of Reverend Herbert Jacobs and his wife Mary Belle, the Settlement House opened in November 1902. It was situated on S. 6th Street and Becher in the heart of the Polish 14th Ward because it was an important manufacturing district and also one of the most congested areas in the city. The organization offered area residents classes in English, sewing, cooking, carpentry and other manual training. It also provided services such as a day nursery, kindergarten and space for numerous clubs. Lastly, it also lobbied for various civic causes, such as compulsory education and better child labor laws. By 1931, the directors of the Settlement House believed it had accomplished its mission. The organization closed that year, and the house was converted into a social center by the Milwaukee Public Schools.
Scope and Content: The collection contains correspondence, reports, newspaper clippings, legal documents, meeting minutes and various publications.
Access and Use: No restrictions
Notes: Processed by Kevin Geary, February 25, 1992
|Folder Heading||Box #||File #|
|Anniversary Edition of Club Life, 1912 & 1922||1||2|
|Anniversary Edition of Club Life, 1928||1||3|
|Auditors Reports, 1922-1930||1||5|
|Extra copies, Drafts of Minutes, Proxies, 1902-1929||1||7|
|Club Life and Clippings, 1913-1922||1||8|