Milwaukee County House of Correction

Posted on by Kabing

Title: Milwaukee County House of Correction Records

Reference Code: Mss. 0727

Inclusive Dates: 1873-1968

Quantity: 1.6 cu. ft. total

Location: BV, Sh. 376 (0.8 cu. ft.)
BV, Sh. 32 (0.2 cu. ft.)
LC. middle section (0.6 cu. ft.)

Abstract: Prior to 1865, the Milwaukee County House of Correction was known as the House of Refugees. It was renamed the Milwaukee County House of Correction in 1865. In 1878 the House of Correction established a partnership with a chair factory in which inmates worked building furniture as part of their rehabilitation. House of Correction officials purchased additional land in 1903 and relocated the facility to the town of Franklin. By 1951, it housed 5,572 inmates.

Scope and Content: The records consist of rules and regulations manuals; inmate population census reports; annual reports; prisoner registers; and miscellaneous files (blueprints 1914).

Access and Use: No restrictions

Language: English

Arrangement: Chronological order 1873-1968

Location
Boxes 1 & 2:
Annual reports BV, Sh. 376
Inmate population census reports BV, Sh. 376
Rules and regulations manuals BV, Sh. 376

Ledgers:
Prisoner registers 1897-1901, 1935-1937 LC middle
Discharges 1934-36 LC middle

Blue prints 1914 BV, Sh. 32