Carpenter, Michael PapersSeptember 12, 2016
Title: Carpenter, Michael Papers
Reference Code: Mss-2794
Inclusive Dates: 1865 – 1987
Quantity: 1.00 cu. ft.
Location: BV, Sh. 029
OS SM “C” (1 item)
Abstract: Michael Carpenter was born in Milwaukee on February 2, 1845. His father died when Michael was about 13 years old, and Michael found work with the Johnston Bakery. He eventually became a partner in the Caldo-Breriton Bakery and then took over the business as sole proprietor. About 1880, he built a bakery on Spring Street (now W. Wisconsin Ave.) between 5th and 6th streets. The business was eventually sold to the American Biscuit Company of Chicago, but Michael stayed on as manager of the Milwaukee plant and also served as a director of the parent company. The American Biscuit Company merged with a rival to form the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco), but Michael bought back the Grand Avenue bakery from National Biscuit. In 1915, the business relocated to a new plant on 7th Street. After Michael passed away in 1926, his sons Joseph and Matthew H. Carpenter continued to operate the company. Carpenter was also involved in real estate, owning properties all around the county. The Carpenter Building was erected in 1923 on Wisconsin Avenue. It housed office space, a bowling alley, the Wisconsin Theater and the Wisconsin Roof ballroom (formerly the Roof Garden). The building was demolished in 1985.
Scope and Content: The collection contains a biographical sketch of Michael Carpenter and his Milwaukee bakery (including genealogical information on his family); abstracts of title; deeds; miscellaneous real estate records; newspaper clippings; and a booklet pertaining to the Carpenter Building on W. Wisconsin Avenue.
Access and Use: No restrictions
Notes: The material was donated by Joseph Carpenter, February 1995.
Folder HeadingBox #File #
|Carpenter, Michael – Biographical Sketch||1||1|
|Material re Carpenter Building (Grand & Sixth Building)||1||2|
|Michael Carpenter Estate – Deeds||1||3|
|Louis Kosma (Carpenter Account)||1||4|
|Kuhl Parking (8th Street)||1||5|
|Edward M. Sullivan Estate||1||6|
|Auditor’s Reports: Michael Carpenter Company, 1951, and J.J.M. Land Company, 1952||1||7|
|Miscellaneous Real Estate Records||1||8|
|Deeds and Abstracts of Title to various Carpenter-owned property||1||LOOSE IN BOX|
|Diamond Anniversary Certificate of Public Service to Carpenter Baking Company, 1948||OS SM “C”|