A. O. Smith Corporation

Posted on by Kabing

Title: A. O. Smith Corporation

Reference Code: Mss-2396

Inclusive Dates: 1931 – 2001

Quantity: 000.31cu. ft. total

Location:        CV, Sh. 276 (000.3 cu. ft.)
OS SM “A” (1 item)

Abstract: A.O. Smith Corporation’s Milwaukee roots go back to 1874 when Charles Jeremiah Smith started making “hardware specialties.”  Eventually his three sons – including Arthur Oliver Smith – joined the company, and it became a leader in producing parts for baby carriages and bicycle frames.  Arthur resigned from his family’s bicycle manufacturing business in 1904 to form the A.O. Smith Company.  Initially the business produced tubular frames for bicycles but soon expanded to manufacturing steel automobile frames. Smith outgrew its plant on the south side of Milwaukee and relocated to a new plant on the northwest side in 1919.  By 1931, it was the world’s largest plant devoted to pressed steel products.  The company continued to diversify its production to include truck frames, water heating equipment, electric motors, and reinforced plastic pipes.  In 1997, A.O. Smith sold its automotive operations to Tower Automotive, but it remains one of the world leaders in water heater production.

Scope and Content: The collection consists of annual and interim reports, historical information, an information kit and other miscellaneous material.

Access and Use: No restrictions

Language: English



Folder Heading Box # Folder #
Annual and Interim Reports, 1963-1970 1 1
Historical Information 1 2
Miscellaneous 1 3
AOS Magazine, July-August 1957
Information Kit, 1988
Program, A.O. Smith Male Chorus, 1931
Sales Flyer re Gas Conversion Burner, 1951
Employee Directory, 1997
Tower Automotive 1 4